PowerDNS on Rails is a Ruby on Rails based web application for managing your PowerDNS databases, through the PowerDNS generic MySQL/PostgreSQL backend.
To install via Git:
- $ git clone git://github.com/kennethkalmer/powerdns-on-rails.git
- $ cd powerdns-on-rails
- Review config/database.yml and modify as needed
- $ rake db:migrate
- $ rake db:seed
- $ ruby script/server
- Point your browser to http://localhost:3000
- Login with ‘admin’ and ‘secret’
Note on versions: I don’t really believe this project should have version numbers, it will stay at 1 forever. The “master” branch of the public repo will always be stable and fully functional. Github provides RSS feeds for repository activity, and I announce new features and updates on my blog and the PowerDNS mail list
PowerDNS on Rails aims to provide a simple web based management platform for PowerDNS systems using the generic MySQL/PostgreSQL backend provided by PowerDNS.
PowerDNS’s features include:
- Zone Templates, useful for adding new zones
- Macros, useful for predefining changes and applying them selectively to zones
- Multiple users and admin/owner roles
- Basic reporting
- Integrated searching
- Audit history of domain/RR changes
- Ever growing support for a variety of RR types
- RESTful API for integration into other systems
PowerDNS on Rails development is sponsored by ISP in a Box in form of using company time and resources to build and maintain the project. PowerDNS powers the DNS infrastructure for ISP in a Box.